21 February 2009

Why online teaching hasn't taken over education

I use the web for teaching a lot. Pretty much have since I started in my current gig. But I've never done a completely online course, for a lot of reasons. And I was always skeptical of the notion that students would start getting degrees from universities far from where they were living online. The Age has an article about why so few students find totally online teaching appealing.

A quick list of why online degrees haven't taken off:


  • People crave real social interaction.

  • Lack of self-discipline and study skills (mainly an undergrad issue).

  • Questions of legitimacy of online institutions.

  • Students have only superficial technical skills.

1 comment:

Improvedliving said...

well it will take some time. Student also need to be more social.


online teaching