09 June 2004

The end is near


Of my job as Biology Search Committee chair, that is. That was the twelth on-site job interview since February, all of which I was responsible for overseeing. (Remember, you can't have a dozen without "Zen!") Our last on-site interview ended today, with our candidate getting on the plane as scheduled. At least something went as scheduled -- these last three job interviews have been rife with moved appointments, missed appointments, rooms that were supposed to be reserved for seminars being switched over to classroom use with no notification... argh!

With so many people coming and going, I'm just glad we didn't injure anyone.

Meanwhile, I've got four(!) students doing summer research projects with me so far: Mike, Eric, Alana, and Jessica. In typical Pan Am fashion, I had some students express interest in doing summer projects who never showed up and nevercontacted me to say, "I'm not going to be able to do this." Fortunately, a couple of the students above joined at the 11th hour, so I should be able to hand off projects planned for the deadbeats -- I mean, other students -- to them.

But for now? I'm going home after a day of getting candidates on planes and showing students techniques. I'm kind of burned out.

No comments: