12 May 2004

Successes


The first good news is that all four of my Honours students have successfully defended their theses, with my last student, Anna, doing her defence today.

I also got word that I'll be able to purchase a Sutter P-2000 microelectrode puller using money collected from a "technology transfer fund" students pay into. The reason I was able to tap into this was that I'm creating a new class, Neurobiology Methods, which is a lab course. It's been approved at the university level, but since nobody does anything remotely like this, I will need lots of equipment for the course. This was one of the bigger single purchases, and is a pretty pricy piece of kit (over $12,000!). I'll be able to put it to good use in research, too, when the class isn't running.

And I love the idea of having a piece of equipment with a laser capable of melting solid rock! (The puller can make electrodes out of quartz, and quartz is rock.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Commenting on my own journal to see if the comment function works.