04 June 2002

Yes, we have no microscopes

As a new faculty member, I received a commitment from my University for a sum of money to be used to start-up my research lab. You know, for purchasing equipment, KimWipes, a computer, stuff like that.

I got notice of a small problem today about that start-up money.

There are two sources for my start-up money. 62.5% of my start-up funds are controlled through the office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs. The remaining 38.5% of my promised start-up money is controlled by the College of Science and Engineering.

I was told repeatedly to "Use it or lose it." I had to spend my start-up money within my first year. (The exact deadline for when advanced a few times, incidentally).

I got a memo today saying that the College of Science and Engineering can't provide their chunk of cash until the start of the next academic year (September). A purchase order for two microscopes (which would have cost almost exactly the amount controlled by the College) was sent back to me. So I can't get my microscopes until fall, which may stop me from doing some of the things I wanted to do this summer.

Ah, the fun never stops in Zen's World...

No comments: